- upset of the body’s hormone balance and depletion of the brain chemicals required for feelings of happiness
- damaging impact on the immune system
- decrease in our lifespan by shortening our telomeres (the “end caps” of our DNA strands, which play a big role in aging)
- health conditions, such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, digestive disorders, and infection, depression
- loss of social contacts or friends who get tired of our negative attitude
These are only a few of the life altering effects of negative energy in our lives.
How can we turn this around? It starts with awareness and then effort. If you notice that what is coming out of your mouth is negative, complaining or mean-spirited, STOP! It’s not easy, especially if you are on a justified rant, but TRY, your health is at stake people! The next thing we have to do is reduce exposure to environmental negative energy. This comes in many forms:
- The news
- Work colleagues
- Social media
- Community organizations/clubs/recreational facilities
Just like with any environmental toxin, eliminate or reduce exposure to reduce your risk. Plain and simple.
Last, we have to reduce exposure to INTERNAL negative energy – the stuff we say and feel about ourselves! Do you talk to yourself the way you speak to your best friend, all loving and supportive? Why should you? Because it changes you biochemically, for the better. Here’s an example: Try focusing on something you like about the way you look when you are down on yourself, such as the nice eyeshadow you chose that brings out the color of your eyes. Or focus on the way you make people smile at work. We all have good qualities, as real as the bad. Focusing on the good makes us happier and healthier. Who doesn’t want more of that?!?
You know, many of us have participated in the ice bucket challenge, a great fundraiser to help those with a life altering health condition. What about the positivity challenge to help us AVOID a life altering health condition? Who’s with me?