“Im soooo tired!”, “I ache all over!”, “I keep gaining weight even though I exercise and eat healthy!” Sound like you or anyone you know? Have you been wondering “what’s wrong with me?!?” Well you aren’t alone and in fact, you may be expressing the often heard inflammation lamentation. That is, expressing some common symptoms that MAY be related to chronic inflammation. What’s inflammation you ask? Glad you asked cuz this could be life altering NEWS!!!
If you have ever cut yourself, had a sun burn or a bruised your knee, you know what acute inflammation is. It’s your natural defense to help your body with the healing process. Chronic inflammation is a completely different thing and happens when your body is unable to shut off the inflammatory response. As a result, the damage to your body begins: tissues, intestinal lining, arteries, joints etc may all be affected.
“The red flag for Chronic inflammation comes when a disease associated with it shows up, like heart disease, cancer, or autoimmune disease like MS, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease or Rheumatoid Arthritis.”( http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/10/chronic-inflammation-signs-symptoms-and-testing/)
Here are some common signs that you may have chronic inflammation:
■Ongoing, irritating pain in the body (like the joints or muscles)
■Allergies or asthma (especially when they keep getting worse)
■High blood pressure or blood sugar problems
■Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (constipation or diarrhea)
■Constant fatigue or lethargy
■Skin problems or red, bloodshot eyes
So why you, why me? Well it turns out that stress is one of the significant causes (surprise!) of chronic inflammation! In one study, even NEGATIVE THOUGHTS were shown to dramatically elevate levels of C-Reactive Protein, an inflammatory marker. So clearly this is something we can CHANGE!!!!! Make ANTI-inflammatory choices because the alternative is PRO-inflammatory choices which may not only shorten your life expectancy but seriously reduce the quality of life you have left!
So let’s look at some choices that REDUCE the risk of chronic inflammation:
- Work-life balance with limiting use of computers, phones and devices after work hours for work-related activities
- Eating a low-carb, healthy fat and protein rich diet of WHOLE, non-processed foods
- Adding Omega 3 foods and or supplements to your diet (ask your Doctor about supplements)
- Eating according to the Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid (https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/diet-nutrition/9-top-anti-inflammatory-foods-put-kids-diet/)
- Get your SLEEP!
- Remove psychological and emotional toxins like relationships, roles, activities and responsibilities that increase stress
- Guard your thoughts. Focus on gratitude not a bad attitude
We have the power to make the rest of our lives the best of our lives. Put THAT on your to-do list and live well!